kapoor1_1

Topic: metal coloring on nickel finish

I have looking for metal coloring process on nickel finished
items like blue, green, yellow through chemical water treatment or might be
through chemical additions in nickel bath tank. I am not sure whether it is done only by dipping in chemical process or by passing current in nickel tank.

One thing I am sure that it
was not elctrophoratic lacquer and china supplies surface coloring on nickel finished items. I need green finish on nickel.

DustinGebhardt

Re: metal coloring on nickel finish

I am not aware of any way to color the nickel within the plating bath or by dipping without using an electrocoat-type lacquer. I've seen PVD used over the top of nickel-chrome, which can give any number of colors and is very durable.

-Dustin Gebhardt, CEF

Advanced Manufacturing/Finishing Engineer

Moen

Sanford, NC

jimtrottier

I agree with Dustin on this I have also seen PVD over nickel and chrome but not a dye for nickel it self.  Are you sure you are not refering to zink chromate colored parts?

Jim

kapoor1_1

Thanks for the response. No it is not zinc chromate color part. As per my information colred Nickel obtain through Potassium
pyrophosphat, Nickel sulphate and
Potassium
cyanide But what is the procedure I don't know. If you have any information regarding these, please let me know.

Also please tell me more about PVD rocedure and what is it. And how color can obtain from it

DustinGebhardt

PVD stands for Physical Vapor Deposition.  It is a very hard, crystalline coating, often used as a coating in cutting tools and for decorative applications.  If you have seen a drill bit that is coated with "nitride" or "titanium", these are examples of PVD coatings.  Many high-end home hardware (shower heads, door knobs, light fixtures, etc) are also PVD coated.  The part is usually nickel-chrome plated or sometimes an uncoated stainless steel base metal.

The process requires a large piece of equipment and a (near) clean-room environment. 

-Dustin Gebhardt, CEF

Advanced Manufacturing/Finishing Engineer

Moen

Sanford, NC