Ryan Cook

Re: Heavy Metals Precipitation question

I am curious as to the effective removal rate of Copper from a waste stream that averages an influent concentration of solubilized copper at about 4 mg/l with a total metals concentration of about 150 mg/l

copper removal needs to be nearly absolute.  (target .03mg/l)

Labrat

Have you considered allowing the rinse water to pass though an ion exchange resin before entering the waste stream? I had this arrangement a few years ago for an alkaline non-cyanide copper and was very successful. Need to monitor the resin loading and regenerate when resin reaches limit.

Dedalus

30 parts per billion? Tough spec! Not impossible to meet, however.

Were I you, I'd try a cationic exchange resin, like Amberlite IR-120, to take out the bulk of the copper, then do a treatment with in situ generated ferrous sulfide. The resin could periodically be regen'ed with sulfuric, and a metal rich concentrate obtained that could be electrowon to yield a salable by product.

Dedalus

Another alternative, if it fits in with your process, is to employ a low volume spray rinse. The flowing rinses that follow with be much less loaded, and the time between regen. cycles in any IX system greatly lengthened.

Spent regen. gets mixed with the spent spray rinse, and you recirculate it through a "Retec" unit, or something comparable. You then get a salable by product instead of F006 sludge.

It may not be necessary to even use a polishing step on the effluent water after the loading is decreased that much. If one is still needed, I talk about precipitants on my webpage, here. Chelated Metals Wastewater Treatment Page
There are three alternates I cover, with their advantages and disadvantages.