DCInc

Re: Powder booth question

Does anyone know where I can find the regulations on fire suppression systems on powder spray booths? I have heard that they are not even required. The firs marshall want to classify it like a liquid spray booth.

Tom

PryoChem

DCInc;875 wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find the regulations on fire suppression systems on powder spray booths? I have heard that they are not even required. The firs marshall want to classify it like a liquid spray booth.

Tom

Tom,

It depends on what type of booth it is and what jurisdiction it is in. There are various types of suppression to look at and it is not always water based.

DCInc

The current booth I have I had to put one on because at the time it was easier to install rather than argue with them. That was 6yrs ago. Since then I have talked with other coaters in the area and the fire marshall did not require them to install one since it was powder only. I was curious where you would find the regulations written down so maybe when I install the second booth I do not have to go through the expense again.

PryoChem

DCInc;882 wrote:

The current booth I have I had to put one on because at the time it was easier to install rather than argue with them. That was 6yrs ago. Since then I have talked with other coaters in the area and the fire marshall did not require them to install one since it was powder only. I was curious where you would find the regulations written down so maybe when I install the second booth I do not have to go through the expense again.

Most paint booths require some type of protection under the NFPA 17 and UL 1254 standards. However, if the Fire Marshal says you are required to have a system in his jurisdiction he can basically override everyone's opinion.

You may want to go down to the Fire Marshal's office and ask him to let you see the code...but be nice.

DCInc

:) I have been nice but that is very good advice for anyone reading this. I sort of figured that he has the final word no matter what but I thought I might get lucky this time and not have to install it.

I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

PryoChem

PryoChem;883 wrote:

Most paint booths require some type of protection under the NFPA 17 and UL 1254 standards. However, if the Fire Marshal says you are required to have a system in his jurisdiction he can basically override everyone's opinion.

You may want to go down to the Fire Marshal's office and ask him to let you see the code...but be nice.

If you need assistance with this you can contact me offline and I will be glad to offer assistance and possibly help you with a fair price.

PryoChem

DCInc;884 wrote:

:) I have been nice but that is very good advice for anyone reading this. I sort of figured that he has the final word no matter what but I thought I might get lucky this time and not have to install it.

I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

If you need assistance with this you can contact me offline and I will be glad to offer assistance and possibly help you with a fair price.

Travis Stirewalt

There is a difference in batch and automated booths. Sometimes it is easier to argue your point from a powder point of view. Recently, I worked with a good friend that is an equipment supplier on a project such as this for a coater and provided the following information based on one of our standard powders at TIGER Drylac Powder Coatings.

I picked a very average powder for our example, the polyester tgic Bengal powders.

Our MSDS sheet says that the LEL (lower explosion limit) on Bengal products is 15g/m3 which is 15 grams per cubic meter of air. This basically amounts to 15 grams of powder in a 28 cubic foot space. What the authorities (NFPA) are looking for is no more than 25% of this amount, which equals 1/8 of a gram of powder per cubic foot.

A standard MANUAL powder gun puts out approx. 500 grams maximum per minute. So, if you consider 500 grams per minute against 8000 cubic foot per minute and your limits are far below the LEL limits.

BUT WAIT……….. THIS IS FOR STATIC AIR (No Air Movement). In order calculate air movement you need to multiply the booth height times the booth width. For example; 8 x 10 = 80 square foot of opening, multiply 80 times 100fpm (foot per minute air velocity) and you get 8,000cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air flow moving through the booth.

IMPORTANT NOTE: if you were running multiple guns in an AUTOMATIC, COVEYORIZED SYSTEM, which you are not, this limit could be of an issue. However, with one manual gun in a Colmet booth with normal; or even dramatically reduced air flow to the cartridge filters, this will not be an issue.

I hope this information is helpful

Travis Stirewalt
TIGER Drylac USA
615-400-1220 cell
t.stirewalt@tigerdrylac.com

Travis Stirewalt, CSI, NASF
Senior Sales Manager, Eastern US
TIGER Drylac USA Powder Coatings
www.tiger-coatings.com